17th October 2018
What is Stoptober?
Stoptober is the 28 day stop smoking challenge that happens through the month of October.
- There are currently about 10,000 smokers in the UK.
- Two thirds of smokers start smoking before the age of 18.
- 60% of smokers said that they would find it hard to go a full day without a cigarette.
- Evidence shows that if a smoker can go 28 days without a cigarette, they are 5 times more likely to stay permanently smoke free.
- Quitting smoking can be a difficult process but successfully quitting has significant health, finical and social benefits.
The two leading causes of mouth cancer in the UK are tobacco and alcohol.
Both tobacco and alcohol are carcinogenic, which means they contain chemicals that can damage the DNA in cells and lead to cancer. The risk of mouth cancer increases significantly in people who smoke and drink heavily. Some people also chew tobacco or other substances that are carcinogenic. Researchers show that it’s not known exactly what triggers the DNA changes that lead to mouth cancer and why people develop it.
There are two ways mouth cancer can spread:
- Directly – the cancer can spread out of the mouth and into nearby tissues, such as surrounding skin or the back of the jaw
- Through the lymphatic system – the lymphatic system is a series of vessels and glands spread throughout your body, which produce specialised cells needed by the immune system to fight infection
Mouth cancer that spreads to another part of the body is known as metastatic oral cancer, which are often called secondaries. The lymph glands in the neck are usually the first place where mouth cancer forms secondaries.
After Stopping Smoking
Over 570,000 people have died in England in the last 8 years from a smoking related condition’s, that is 195 people each day. However, successfully quitting has significant health benefits straight away:
- After stopping smoking within 20 minutes, your blood pressure and pule rate returns to normal.
- Within 8 hours, Nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in your blood reduce by half, oxygen levels return to normal.
- Within 24 hours, Carbon monoxide will be eliminated from the body. Lungs start to clear out mucus and other smoking debris.
- Within 48 hours, there is no nicotine left in your body. Your ability to smell and taste is greatly improved.
- After 1 year, the risks of dying from heart disease is reduced by half.
- After stopping smoking within 2 years, the risk of having a stroke is reduced to half and within 5 years, and it will be the same level of risk as a non smoker.
- Within 10 years, your risks of developing lung cancer falls to half of that of an active smoker.
- After stopping smoking for 15 years, your risk of heart disease is is similar to that of someone who has never smoked.
Local Stop Smoking Services
Free local Stop Smoking Service area available near you. Studies show that you’re four times more likely to quit with help. Developed by experts and ex-smokers and delivered by professionals, your local Stop Smoking Service provides expert advice, support and encouragement to help you stop smoking for good.
It offers free one-to-one support along with stop smoking medicines, which are available for the cost of a prescription. When asked if they would recommend the service, 9 out of 10 smokers who’ve used a local Stop Smoking Service say they would.
Click here to access your local stop smoking services based in Nottingham.
Click here for more information about Stoptober and for your free personal quit plan.