What is Stoptober?
Stoptober is the 28 day stop smoking challeng that happens through the month of October.
- There are currently about 10,000 smokers in the UK.
- Two thirds of smokers start smoking before the age of 18.
- 60% of smokers said that they would find it hard to go a full day without a cigarette.
- Evidence shows that if a smoker can go 28 days without a cigarette, they are 5 times more likely to stay permanently smoke free.
- Quitting smoking can be a difficult process but successfully quitting has significant health, finicial and social benefits.
After Stopping Smoking
Over 570,000 people have died in England in the last 8 years from a smoking related condition's, that is 195 people each day. However, successfully quitting has significant health benefits straight away:
- Within 20 minutes, your blood pressure and pule rate returns to normal.
- After 1 year, the risks of dying from heart disease is reduced by half.
- Within 2 years, the risk of having a stroke is reduced to half and within 5 years, it will be the same level of risk as a non smoker.
- Within 10 years, your risks of developing lung cancer falls to half of that of an active smoker.
- After stopping smoking for 15 years, your risk of heart disease is is similar to that of someone who has never smoked.
Local Stop Smoking Services
If your thinking about quitting smoking or participating in Stoptober, please speak to any members of our team who are more than happy to help and support you throughout. There are many different ways to quit smoking, and seeking advice from your local stop smoking services listed below can also help to find a way that works for you.
"Smokefreelife Nottinghamshire is one of the free Stop Smoking Service operating throughout Nottinghamshire. You are 4 times more likely to quit smoking with professional support. We are here to help. We have many services available to support you as you go smokefree. They are available for everyone, no matter what age you are or how long you have smoked. With more than 150 locations across Nottinghamshire for you to access for support, we are sure you will find one that is perfect for you. If you are in one of our target groups, you can access the specialist support clinics. If you are not in one of our target groups, we can signpost you to your most convenient local stop smoking support group." Find out more about Smoke Free Life Nottinghamshire by clicking here....
"New Leaf provides free support to help you stop smoking. All our advisers are highly trained and are passionate about supporting you through your quit attempt. You are four times more likely to stop with us than if you go it alone. New Leaf offers a range of stop smoking aids which can really help. These are Free and in most cases available straight away." Find out more about New Leaf Stop Smoking Services by clicking here....